Monday 11 August 2008

The A to Z of 2205: Atkinson St, Arncliffe

Atkinson is thought to be the maden name of Mrs Patience Amelia Knight who subdivided this area after the death of her husband. (The Origins of Street Names in the Municipality of Rockdale, compiled by Alderman Ron Rathbone, 1990)

Real estate blurbs often tout Atkinson St as "the best street in Arncliffe". I don't know about that, but I did meet a man on my walk who claimed this to be so! Personally, I think Atkinson Lane has a better outlook, and many other streets have more attractive architecture. However, it is true I haven't been into any of the houses on the low side of the street, which have panoramic views over Botany Bay, so maybe that's what contributes to "best".

Below: From Wolli Creek Road
Below: One of the more modern examples of architecture
Below: A pair of typical 1950s red brick houses. How long will they last? I do like the white wrought iron railing on the balcony.
Below: Atkinson St from the Knight St end
Below: The view over Botany Bay. The houses on the lower side of the street all look this way. There are views over Gardiner park as well.


View Larger Map

1 comment:

Michael said...

Sally, I lived at 33 Atkinson Street (on the high side), from 1991-2007 in a lovely 1939 art deco 2-bedroom cottage which I painstakingly restored over many years of weekends (and very slightly renovated for the late 20th century). I was never aware of the street's alleged status, but it did sell for a very tidy $665K in late 2007 (over $100K more than expected)! A pleasant enough place to live, and particularly handy for car travel when the M5 East went in - although I was a fairly avid catcher of trains from Banksia during my time there.